Internationally Renowned Gender Equality Advocate
“I am absolutely thrilled with the opportunity accorded to address at your esteemed forthcoming “This is My Beauty” event in Toronto. This platform will provide all participants with endless opportunity to unleash the power within and redefine beauty, and network with world class speakers, participants and fabulous organizers. Participants will also be inspired to make positive choices and to shape the world around them. Can’t wait to meet you all.”
Almas is a renowned global voice for gender equality and women’s economic empowerment.
“People often ask me why we choose to focus specifically on women. My answer is simple – we focus on women and girls because evidence accrued over decades of international development work has proven that the status and role of women is the best clue to a nation’s growth potential, and is a key factor in determining a society’s standard of living.”
UNWNCC President Almas Jiwani, HSBC Canada, November 2012
Almas Jiwani – President and CEO of Almas Jiwani Foundation – President emeritus of UN Women Canada; Internationally renowned speaker & Philanthropist. The Audacious Catalyst and Epitome for Gender Equality and Women’s Economic Empowerment. She is internationally renowned for her efforts to encourage women’s social, economic, and political empowerment. She spearheads initiatives where corporate growth intersects with humanitarian development.
A model of perseverance and determination, Ms. Jiwani’s efforts to strengthen women’s economic capacity as entrepreneurs and producers have earned her accolades. She plays a crucial role in building networks among charitable institutions and socially responsible businesses.
Ms. Jiwani is a powerful and influential speaker and she continues to travel across the globe to deliver keynote addresses, speeches, and presentations on improving the status of women. She addressed over 400 parliamentarians from 42 countries on the benefits of economically empowering women and the roles and responsibilities of parliamentarians at the International Assembly in the Dominican Republic and Quebec City.
More recently, she addressed the Pan Africa Media Conference, Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation, World Bank, Women in Leadership Forum in Abu Dhabi, African Development Bank conference, and the World Forum alongside Nobel Peace Laureate Archbishop Desmond Tutu and holistic health/New Age guru Deepak Chopra.
She is CEO of Frontier Canada, a communications and marketing company based in Toronto, Ontario.
In 2013, Ms. Jiwani was appointed as a member of Magna Carta Canada honorary committee alongside with former Country Prime Ministers and high level political dignitaries. She was also appointed as good will Ambassador of the World NGO. 2
In 2012, Ms. Jiwani made history as a state visitor in Pakistan when she addressed one million women on gender inequality. In June 2012, she was appointed as a Global Ambassador of Peace by the Universal Peace Federation.
She is a member of the Global Advisory Board of Women in Leadership – NASEBA Corporation in the Middle East and Dean, Faculty of Law at Istanbul University in Turkey, Pamoja Kenya Mentorship Alliance, Enerdynamic and Global Warming Prevention Technologies.
Ms. Jiwani has gained international recognition and commendations from governments and the media:
- In a letter sent to the UN Women Headquarters, Ms. Jiwani received praise from the Prime Minister of Uganda for her contributions to promote gender equality in Africa.
- In April 2012, Ms. Jiwani partnered with the government of Indonesia to help draft a bill and develop and implement gender equitable policies in the country.
- She has been interviewed by Peter Mansbridge, chief correspondent of CBC News, on “One on One” and Steve Paikin of TVOs “The Agenda”. She has also been interviewed on CTV, Rogers TV, and OMNI TV networks.
- Nation Media from Africa has featured Ms. Jiwani’s speeches, interviews, and achievements on several occasions.
- LifeStyles published an extensive interview highlighting Ms. Jiwani’s achievements and passion for global gender equality, R.S.V.P. Magazine published a multiple-page editorial on Ms. Jiwani’s work, and Women’s Post declared Ms. Jiwani a “Woman to Watch”.
- Sync Magazine featured cover story with in-depth interview
- In a recent interview with CBC, senior business correspondent Amanda Lang said of Almas Jiwani, “She is a force of nature…evidence of how much power an individual can have is in Almas. The things that she’s capable of doing, the people she brings together, the fact that she just spoke to a million people in Pakistan… And she spoke to us in so many languages…”
Almas Jiwani has been honored with numerous Awards globally for her work on gender equity and women’s empowerment:
- Naseba’s Women In Leadership Award, UAE – 2015
- Anokhi Media “Excellence in Crusading for Women’s Right” Award – 2015
- Rehma “Champion of Gender Equality” 2014
- International Women Development Champion – India 2014
- Woman Inspire award – Canadian Council of Muslim Women – Toronto 2013
- Outstanding contribution to Juvenile Delinquency Canadian Report, Istanbul, Turkey 2013
- Gender, Environment & Sustainability – GWPT, Toronto 2013
- African Women in Leadership Excellence Award – Nigeria 2013
- MDG Meritorious Award – Women Advancement -South Africa, 2013
- International African Women Development Award – Paris, France, 2013
- Woman of Courage Award (former recipients: Jane Fonda, Erin Brockovich)- Toronto 2013
- Champion of Diversity – Women of Influence, Toronto 2012
- Tribute Award for outstanding contribution to Gender Equality – Rogers’ Immigration talk show 2012
- Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal – 2012
- Global Ambassador of Peace – 2012
- Women to Watch in 2012
- Tribute Award -Salon International de la Femme 2011
- International Humanitarian Award – Uganda – 2010
- Commemorative Stamp, Government of Greece – 2010
- Artemis Goddess Award, Government of Greece – 2010
- Induction into Women’s Hall of Fame- Greece – 2010
- Women of Week – Toronto – 2010
- United Nations Fund for Women “Life Time Honorary Member” Award – 2009
- Governor General’s Caring Award, Governor General of Canada – 2008
- Women of Substance Recognition, Africa International Trade Conference – 2007
- 15 Years of Voluntary Service, Minister of Citizenship and Immigration – 2006
- “The Stone in Water Award” From Minister of Foreign Affairs for successful execution of the National Afghan Women Roundtable, and the report from the Canadian Committee on Women, Peace andSecurity – 2005
Courtesy of Almas Jiwani